If you smell gas
If you suspect you have a gas leak or if you're worried fumes containing carbon monoxide are escaping from a gas appliance, call the 24 hour National Gas Emergency hotline on 0800 111 999
. Here are some do’s and don’t’s:
- Open doors and windows to let the gas escape
- Check your gas appliances are switched off
- Call the 24 hour National Gas Emergency hotline on 0800 111 999
- Turn your gas off at the isolation switch (if you know where it is), then wait outside, and let your neighbours know.
- Switch lights on or off, use doorbells, mobile phones or use any electrical switches.
- Smoke, light a match or use any other kind of naked flame.
- Go back into your home until you've got the all-clear.
If you experience a power cut you need to call your electricity distribution company. They look after the cable connecting your home to the national grid.
You can call the 24 hour electricity hotline on 105
and you'll be automatically redirected to the local distribution company free of charge.
Alternatively you can find your local distribution company on www.energynetworks.org
or from the list below: